2018 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XLVI CRIMES
Chapter 860 OFFENSES CONCERNING AIRCRAFT, MOTOR VEHICLES, VESSELS, AND RAILROADS
SECTION 13Operation of aircraft while intoxicated or in careless or reckless manner; penalty.
860.13 Operation of aircraft while intoxicated or in careless or reckless manner; penalty.—
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person:
(a) To operate an aircraft in the air or on the ground or water while under the influence of:
1. Alcoholic beverages;
2. Any substance controlled under chapter 893;
3. Any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111; or
(b) To operate an aircraft in the air or on the ground or water in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.
(2) In any prosecution charging careless or reckless operation of aircraft in violation of this section, the court, in determining whether the operation was careless or reckless, shall consider the standards for safe operation of aircraft as prescribed by federal statutes or regulations governing aeronautics.
(3) Violation of this section shall constitute a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(4) It shall be the duty of any court in which there is a conviction for violation of this statute to report such conviction to the Federal Aviation Administration for its guidance and information with respect to the pilot’s certificate.
History.—ss. 1-4, ch. 25259, 1949; s. 1096, ch. 71-136; ss. 1, 2A, ch. 71-282; s. 32, ch. 73-331; s. 5, ch. 83-187; s. 15, ch. 2010-117.