2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XLVIII EARLY LEARNING-20 EDUCATION CODE
Chapter 1003 PUBLIC K-12 EDUCATION
SECTION 455Physical education; assessment.
1003.455 Physical education; assessment.—
(1) It is the responsibility of each district school board to develop a physical education program that stresses physical fitness and encourages healthful, active lifestyles and to encourage all students in prekindergarten through grade 12 to participate in physical education. Physical education shall consist of physical activities of at least a moderate intensity level and for a duration sufficient to provide a significant health benefit to students, subject to the differing capabilities of students. All physical education programs and curricula must be reviewed by a certified physical education instructor.
(2) Each district school board shall adopt a written physical education policy that details the school district’s physical education program, the expected program outcomes, the benefits of physical education, and the availability of one-on-one counseling concerning the benefits of physical education.
(3) Each district school board shall provide 150 minutes of physical education each week for students in kindergarten through grade 5 and for students in grade 6 who are enrolled in a school that contains one or more elementary grades so that on any day during which physical education instruction is conducted there are at least 30 consecutive minutes per day. Beginning with the 2009-2010 school year, the equivalent of one class period per day of physical education for one semester of each year is required for students enrolled in grades 6 through 8. Students enrolled in such instruction shall be reported through the periodic student membership surveys, and records of such enrollment shall be audited pursuant to s. 1010.305. Such instruction may be provided by any instructional personnel as defined in s. 1012.01(2), regardless of certification, who are designated by the school principal.
(4) The requirement in subsection (3) shall be waived for a student who meets one of the following criteria:
(a) The student is enrolled or required to enroll in a remedial course.
(b) The student’s parent indicates in writing to the school that:
1. The parent requests that the student enroll in another course from among those courses offered as options by the school district; or
2. The student is participating in physical activities outside the school day which are equal to or in excess of the mandated requirement.
(5) Each school district shall notify the student’s parent of the options available under subsection (4) before scheduling the student to participate in physical education.
(6) In addition to the requirements in subsection (3), each district school board shall provide at least 100 minutes of supervised, safe, and unstructured free-play recess each week for students in kindergarten through grade 5 so that there are at least 20 consecutive minutes of free-play recess per day. This requirement does not apply to charter schools.
History.—s. 4, ch. 2004-255; s. 19, ch. 2006-301; s. 3, ch. 2007-28; s. 2, ch. 2008-94; s. 49, ch. 2017-116.