2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XLVIII EARLY LEARNING-20 EDUCATION CODE
Chapter 1004 PUBLIC POSTSECONDARY EDUCATION
SECTION 44Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute.
1004.44 Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute.—There is established the Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute within the University of South Florida.
(1) The purpose of the institute is to strengthen mental health services throughout the state by providing technical assistance and support services to mental health agencies and mental health professionals. Such assistance and services shall include:
(a) Technical training and specialized education.
(b) Development, implementation, and evaluation of mental health service programs.
(c) Evaluation of availability and effectiveness of existing mental health services.
(d) Analysis of factors that influence the incidence and prevalence of mental and emotional disorders.
(e) Dissemination of information about innovations in mental health services.
(f) Consultation on all aspects of program development and implementation.
(g) Provisions for direct client services, provided for a limited period of time either in the institute facility or in other facilities within the state, and limited to purposes of research or training.
(2) The Department of Children and Families is authorized to designate the Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute a treatment facility for the purpose of accepting voluntary and involuntary clients in accordance with institute programs. Clients to be admitted are exempted from prior screening by a community mental health center.
(3) The institute may provide direct services in coordination with other agencies. The institute may also provide support services to state agencies through joint programs, collaborative agreements, contracts, and grants.
(4) By August 1, 2020, the institute shall develop a model response protocol for schools to use mobile response teams established under s. 394.495. In developing the protocol, the institute shall, at a minimum, consult with school districts that effectively use such teams, school districts that use such teams less often, local law enforcement agencies, the Department of Children and Families, managing entities as defined in s. 394.9082(2), and mobile response team providers.
(5) The institute shall operate under the authority of the President of the University of South Florida and shall employ a mental health professional as director. The director shall hold a faculty appointment in a university’s college or department related to mental health within the university. The director has primary responsibility for establishing active liaisons with the community of mental health professionals and other related constituencies in the state and may, with approval of the university president, establish appropriate statewide advisory groups to assist in developing these communication links.
History.—s. 190, ch. 2002-387; s. 371, ch. 2014-19; s. 10, ch. 2020-107.