2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XLVIII EARLY LEARNING-20 EDUCATION CODE
Chapter 1004 PUBLIC POSTSECONDARY EDUCATION
SECTION 70Florida College System institution direct-support organizations.
1004.70 Florida College System institution direct-support organizations.—
(1) DEFINITIONS.—For the purposes of this section:
(a) “Florida College System institution direct-support organization” means an organization that is:
1. A Florida corporation not for profit, incorporated under the provisions of chapter 617 and approved by the Department of State.
2. Organized and operated exclusively to receive, hold, invest, and administer property and to make expenditures to, or for the benefit of, a Florida College System institution in this state.
3. An organization that the Florida College System institution board of trustees, after review, has certified to be operating in a manner consistent with the goals of the Florida College System institution and in the best interest of the state. Any organization that is denied certification by the board of trustees may not use the name of the Florida College System institution that it serves.
(b) “Personal services” includes full-time or part-time personnel as well as payroll processing.
(2) BOARD OF DIRECTORS.—The chair of the board of trustees shall appoint a representative to the board of directors and the executive committee of each direct-support organization established under this section, including those established before July 1, 1998. The president of the Florida College System institution for which the direct-support organization is established, or the president’s designee, shall also serve on the board of directors and the executive committee of the direct-support organization, including any direct-support organization established before July 1, 1998.
(3) USE OF PROPERTY.—
(a) The board of trustees is authorized to permit the use of property, facilities, and personal services at any Florida College System institution by any Florida College System institution direct-support organization, subject to the provisions of this section.
(b) The board of trustees is authorized to prescribe by rule any condition with which a Florida College System institution direct-support organization must comply in order to use property, facilities, or personal services at any Florida College System institution.
(c) The board of trustees may not permit the use of property, facilities, or personal services at any Florida College System institution by any Florida College System institution direct-support organization that does not provide equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or religion.
(4) ACTIVITIES; RESTRICTIONS.—
(a) A direct-support organization may, at the request of the board of trustees, provide residency opportunities on or near campus for students.
(b) A direct-support organization that constructs facilities for use by a Florida College System institution or its students must comply with all requirements of law relating to the construction of facilities by a Florida College System institution, including requirements for competitive bidding.
(c) Any transaction or agreement between one direct-support organization and another direct-support organization must be approved by the board of trustees.
(d) A Florida College System institution direct-support organization is prohibited from giving, either directly or indirectly, any gift to a political committee as defined in s. 106.011 for any purpose.
(e) A Florida College System institution board of trustees must authorize all debt, including lease-purchase agreements, incurred by a direct-support organization. Authorization for approval of short-term loans and lease-purchase agreements for a term of not more than 5 years, including renewals, extensions, and refundings, for goods, materials, equipment, and services may be delegated by the board of trustees to the board of directors of the direct-support organization. Trustees shall evaluate proposals for debt according to guidelines issued by the Division of Florida Colleges. Revenues of the Florida College System institution may not be pledged to debt issued by direct-support organizations.
(5) ANNUAL BUDGETS AND REPORTS.—Each direct-support organization shall submit to the board of trustees its federal Internal Revenue Service Application for Recognition of Exemption form (Form 1023) and its federal Internal Revenue Service Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax form (Form 990).
(6) ANNUAL AUDIT.—Each direct-support organization shall provide for an annual financial audit in accordance with rules adopted by the Auditor General pursuant to s. 11.45(8). The annual audit report must be submitted, within 9 months after the end of the fiscal year, to the Auditor General, the State Board of Education, and the board of trustees for review. The board of trustees, the Auditor General, and the Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability may require and receive from the organization or from its independent auditor any detail or supplemental data relative to the operation of the organization. The identity of donors who desire to remain anonymous shall be protected, and that anonymity shall be maintained in the auditor’s report. All records of the organization, other than the auditor’s report, any information necessary for the auditor’s report, any information related to the expenditure of funds, and any supplemental data requested by the board of trustees, the Auditor General, and the Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability, shall be confidential and exempt from the provisions of s. 119.07(1).
History.—s. 219, ch. 2002-387; s. 2, ch. 2008-163; s. 11, ch. 2009-228; s. 54, ch. 2011-5; s. 49, ch. 2013-35; s. 32, ch. 2013-37; s. 5, ch. 2019-103.