2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XLVIII EARLY LEARNING-20 EDUCATION CODE
Chapter 1008 ASSESSMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY
SECTION 322Board of Governors oversight enforcement authority.
1008.322 Board of Governors oversight enforcement authority.—
(1) The Board of Governors of the State University System shall oversee the performance of state university boards of trustees in the enforcement of laws, rules, and regulations. State university boards of trustees shall be primarily responsible for compliance with laws and Board of Governors’ rules and regulations.
(2) The Board of Governors’ constitutional authority to operate, regulate, control, and be fully responsible for the management of the entire State University System mandates that the state universities comply with all requests by the Board of Governors for information, data, and reports. The state university presidents are responsible for the accuracy of the information and data reported to the Board of Governors.
(3)(a) The Chancellor of the State University System may investigate allegations of noncompliance with any law or Board of Governors’ rule or regulation and determine probable cause. The chancellor shall report determinations of probable cause to the Board of Governors, which may require the university board of trustees to document compliance with the law or Board of Governors’ rule or regulation.
(b) The Chancellor of the State University System shall report to the Board of Governors any findings by the Auditor General that a university is acting without statutory authority or contrary to general law. The Board of Governors shall require the university board of trustees to document compliance with such law.
(4) If the university board of trustees cannot satisfactorily document compliance, the Board of Governors may order compliance within a specified timeframe.
(5) If the Board of Governors determines that a state university board of trustees is unwilling or unable to comply with any law or Board of Governors’ rule or regulation or audit recommendation within the specified time, the Board of Governors, in addition to actions constitutionally authorized, may initiate any of the following actions:
(a) Withhold the transfer of state funds, discretionary grant funds, discretionary lottery funds, or any other funds appropriated to the Board of Governors by the Legislature for disbursement to the state university until the university complies with the law or Board of Governors’ rule or regulation.
(b) Declare the state university ineligible for competitive grants disbursed by the Board of Governors.
(c) Require monthly or periodic reporting on the situation related to noncompliance until it is remedied.
(d) Report to the Legislature that the state university is unwilling or unable to comply with the law or Board of Governors’ rule or regulation and recommend action to be taken by the Legislature.
(6) Nothing in this section may be construed to create a private cause of action or create any rights for individuals or entities in addition to those provided elsewhere in law, rule, or regulation.
History.—s. 22, ch. 2013-51; s. 8, ch. 2019-103.