2022 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XLVIII EARLY LEARNING-20 EDUCATION CODE
Chapter 1012 PERSONNEL
SECTION 28Public school personnel; duties of school principals.
1012.28 Public school personnel; duties of school principals.—
(1) Public school principals shall supervise public school personnel as the district school board determines necessary.
(2) The school principal is responsible for recommending to the district school superintendent the employment of instructional personnel to be assigned to the school to which the principal is assigned.
(3) Each school principal is responsible for the performance of all personnel employed by the district school board and assigned to the school to which the principal is assigned. The school principal shall faithfully and effectively apply the personnel evaluation system approved pursuant to s. 1012.34.
(4) Each school principal shall assist the teachers within the school to use student assessment data, as measured by student learning gains pursuant to s. 1008.22, for self-evaluation.
(5) Each school principal shall perform such duties as may be assigned by the district school superintendent, pursuant to the rules of the district school board. Such rules shall include, but are not limited to, rules relating to administrative responsibility, instructional leadership in implementing the Sunshine State Standards and the overall educational program of the school to which the school principal is assigned, submission of personnel recommendations to the district school superintendent, administrative responsibility for records and reports, administration of corporal punishment, and student suspension.
(6) A principal may refuse to accept the placement or transfer of instructional personnel by the district school superintendent to his or her school unless the instructional personnel has a performance rating of effective or highly effective under s. 1012.34.
(7) A school principal who fails to comply with this section shall be ineligible for any portion of the performance pay and differentiated pay under s. 1012.22.
(8) The principal of a school participating in the Principal Autonomy Program Initiative under s. 1011.6202 has the following additional authority and responsibilities:
(a) In addition to the authority provided in subsection (6), the authority to select qualified instructional personnel for placement or to refuse to accept the placement or transfer of instructional personnel by the district school superintendent. Placement of instructional personnel at a participating school in a participating school district does not affect the employee’s status as a school district employee.
(b) The authority to deploy financial resources to school programs at the principal’s discretion to help improve student achievement, as defined in s. 1008.34(1), and meet performance goals identified in the principal autonomy proposal submitted pursuant to s. 1011.6202.
(c) To annually provide to the district school superintendent and the district school board a budget for the operation of the participating school that identifies how funds provided pursuant to s. 1011.69(2) are allocated.
History.—s. 703, ch. 2002-387; s. 59, ch. 2006-74; s. 12, ch. 2011-1; s. 3, ch. 2016-223; s. 34, ch. 2018-6.