2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title X PUBLIC OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AND RECORDS
Chapter 110 STATE EMPLOYMENT
110.107 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) “Authorized position” means a position included in an approved budget. In counting the number of authorized positions, part-time positions may be converted to full-time equivalents.
(2) “Broadband level” means all positions that are sufficiently similar in knowledge, skills, and abilities; the kind or subject matter of work; the level of difficulty or the level of responsibilities; and the qualification requirements of the work so as to warrant the same treatment with respect to title, pay band, and other personnel transactions.
(3) “Classification plan” means a formal description of the concepts, rules, job family definitions, occupational group characteristics, and occupational profiles used in the classification of positions.
(4) “Demotion” means the changing of the classification of an employee to a broadband level having a lower maximum salary; or the changing of the classification of an employee to a broadband level having the same or a higher maximum salary but a lower level of responsibility.
(5) “Department” means the Department of Management Services.
(6) “Dismissal” means a disciplinary action taken by an agency pursuant to s. 110.227 against an employee which results in the termination of his or her employment.
(7) “Employing agency” means any agency authorized to employ personnel to carry out the responsibilities of the agency under the provisions of chapter 20 or other law.
(8) “Established position” means an authorized position that has been classified in accordance with a classification and pay plan as provided by law.
(9) “Firefighter” means a firefighter certified under chapter 633.
(10) “Full-time position” means a position authorized for the entire normally established work period, whether daily, weekly, monthly, or annually.
(11) “Furlough” means a temporary reduction in the regular hours of employment in a pay period, or temporary leave without pay for one or more pay periods, with a commensurate reduction in pay, which is necessitated by a projected deficit in any fund that supports salary and benefit appropriations. The deficit must be projected by the Revenue Estimating Conference pursuant to s. 216.136(3).
(12) “Individual who has a disability” means a person who has a physical or intellectual impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment.
(13) “Job family” means a defined grouping of one or more occupational groups.
(14) “Law enforcement or correctional officer” means a law enforcement officer, special agent, correctional officer, correctional probation officer, or institutional security specialist certified under chapter 943.
(15) “Layoff” means termination of employment due to a shortage of funds or work, or a material change in the duties or organization of an agency, including the outsourcing or privatization of an activity or function previously performed by career service employees.
(16) “Occupation” means all positions that are sufficiently similar in knowledge, skills, abilities, and the kind or subject matter of work.
(17) “Occupational group” means a group of occupations that are sufficiently similar in the kind of work performed to warrant the use of the same performance factors in determining the level of complexity for all occupations in that occupational group.
(18) “Part-time position” means a position authorized for less than the entire normally established work period, whether daily, weekly, monthly, or annually.
(19) “Pay band” means the minimum salary, the maximum salary, and intermediate rates that are payable for work in a specific broadband level.
(20) “Pay plan” means a formal description of the philosophy, methods, procedures, and salary schedules for competitively compensating employees at market-based rates for work performed.
(21) “Position” means the work, consisting of duties and responsibilities, assigned to be performed by an officer or employee.
(22) “Position number” means the identification number assigned to an established position.
(23) “Professional health care provider” means registered nurses, physician assistants, dentists, psychologists, nutritionists or dietitians, pharmacists, psychological specialists, physical therapists, and speech and hearing therapists.
(24) “Promotion” means the changing of the classification of an employee to a broadband level having a higher maximum salary; or the changing of the classification of an employee to a broadband level having the same or a lower maximum salary but a higher level of responsibility.
(25) “Reassignment” means moving an employee from a position in one broadband level to a different position in the same broadband level or to a different broadband level having the same maximum salary.
(26) “Reclassification” means the changing of an established position in one broadband level in an occupational group to a higher or lower broadband level in the same occupational group or to a broadband level in a different occupational group.
(27) “Salary schedule” means an official document that contains a complete list of occupation titles, broadband level codes, and pay bands.
(28) “Secretary” means the Secretary of Management Services.
(29) “Shared employment” means part-time career employment in which the duties and responsibilities of a full-time position in the career service are divided among part-time employees who are eligible for the position and who receive career service benefits and wages pro rata. The term does not include the employment of persons paid from other-personal-services funds.
(30) “State agency” or “agency” means any official, officer, commission, board, authority, council, committee, or department of the executive branch or the judicial branch of state government as defined in chapter 216.
(31) “Suspension” means a disciplinary action taken by an agency pursuant to s. 110.227 against an employee which temporarily relieves the employee of his or her duties and places him or her on leave without pay.
(32) “Transfer” means moving an employee from one geographic location of the state to a different geographic location more than 50 miles from the employee’s current work location.
History.—s. 20, ch. 79-190; s. 4, ch. 91-431; s. 10, ch. 92-279; s. 55, ch. 92-326; s. 3, ch. 2003-138; s. 3, ch. 2016-3.