2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XI COUNTY ORGANIZATION AND INTERGOVERNMENTAL RELATIONS
Chapter 159 BOND FINANCING
159.02 Definitions.—As used in this part, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings, unless some other meaning is plainly intended:
(1) The word “municipality” shall mean any city, town, village or port authority in the state, whether incorporated by special act of the Legislature or under the general laws of the state.
(2) The word “unit” shall mean any county or municipality in the state, now or hereafter created or established.
(3) The term “governing body,” as applied to a county, shall mean the board of county commissioners, and as applied to a municipality, shall mean the council, commission or other board or body in which the general legislative powers of the municipality shall be vested.
(4) The word “project” shall include all property, rights, easements, and franchises relating thereto and deemed necessary or convenient for the construction or acquisition or the operation thereof, and shall embrace waterworks systems, sewer systems, gas systems, bridges, causeways, tunnels, incinerator and solid waste disposal systems, harbor and port facilities, mass transportation systems, expressways, marinas, civic auditoriums, sports arenas, parking facilities, and theme and amusement parks.
(5) A project shall be deemed “self-liquidating” if, in the judgment of the governing body, the revenues and earnings thereof and other special funds pledged therefor as provided in this part, will be sufficient to pay the cost of maintaining, repairing and operating the project and to pay the principal and interest of revenue bonds (as hereinafter defined) which may be issued to pay the cost of such project or improvements thereof.
(6) The term “revenue bonds” shall mean the obligations issued by a unit under the provisions of this part to pay the cost of a self-liquidating project or improvements thereof or combination of one or more projects or improvements thereof, and payable from the earnings of such project, and any other special funds authorized to be pledged as additional security therefor under this part. Whenever the word “bonds” is used in this part, it shall be deemed to mean “revenue bonds,” unless the specific term “general obligation bonds” is used.
(7) The word “bridge” and the word “tunnel” shall include not only the bridge or the tunnel but also all structures and equipment connected therewith and the approaches thereto and approach roads.
(8) The word “causeway” shall mean any raised road or way over and across any marshy ground, swamp, river, bay or water in the state, the bridges or tunnels and structures connected therewith, and the approaches thereto and approach roads.
(9) The term “waterworks system” shall mean and shall include water supply systems, water distribution systems and any integral part thereof, whether inside or outside the unit, and shall include but shall not be limited to reservoirs, wells, intakes, mains, laterals, aqueducts, pumping stations, standpipes, filter stations, purification plants, hydrants, meters, valves and equipment.
(10) The term “harbor and port facilities” shall include docks, wharves, piers, warehouses, terminals, refrigerating plants, channels, turning basins, connecting railroads, breakwaters, causeways and bridges, and bulkheads and equipment.
(11) The word “improvements” shall mean such repairs, replacements, additions, extensions and betterments of and to a project as are deemed necessary to place such project in proper condition for the safe, efficient and economic operation thereof, or necessary to preserve a project or to maintain adequate service to the public.
(12) The term “cost of improvements” shall mean the cost of construction or acquiring improvements as hereinabove defined and shall embrace the cost of all labor and materials, the cost of all lands, property, rights, easements and franchises acquired which are deemed necessary for such construction, the cost of all machinery and equipment, financing charges, cost of engineering and legal expenses, plans, specifications, surveys, and such other expenses as may be necessary or incident to such construction.
(13) The term “cost of a project” shall mean the cost of acquiring or constructing such project, and the cost of improvements, and shall include the cost of all labor and materials, the cost of all lands, property, rights, easements and franchises acquired, which are deemed necessary for such acquisition or construction, the cost of all machinery and equipment, financing charges, interest prior to and during construction and for 1 year after the completion of construction, engineering and legal expenses, cost of plans, specifications, surveys, estimates of construction costs and of revenues, other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of such acquisition or construction, administrative expenses, and such other expenses as may be necessary or incident to the financing herein authorized and to such acquisition or construction and the placing of the project in operation.
(14) The term “sewer system” shall mean and include sewage disposal systems, including wastewater reuse systems, or sanitary sewer systems and any integral part thereof, whether inside or outside the unit, and shall include but shall not be limited to sewage disposal plants or facilities, sanitary sewers, pumping stations, intercepting or trunk or lateral sewers, and any other properties or works or equipment necessary for the collection, treatment, and disposal of sewage and waste matter, including wastewater reuse, and including industrial wastes.
(15) The term “gas system” shall mean and include works and structures necessary for the production, supply and distribution of gas, manufactured or natural, for lighting, heating, refrigeration or other domestic or industrial use, whether inside or outside the unit and shall include but shall not be limited to distribution mains, meters, plants, equipment, machinery and any other property necessary for the production, supply and distribution of either manufactured or natural gas, for domestic or industrial use.
(16) The term “utilities services taxes” shall mean taxes levied and collected on the purchase or sale of utilities services pursuant to any law.
(17) The term “cigarette taxes” shall mean taxes levied and collected on the purchase or sale of cigarettes under the provisions of chapter 210 or any other law.
(18) The term “franchise taxes” shall mean payments to a municipality pursuant to the provisions of a franchise granted to a person, firm or corporation for the furnishing of utilities or other services or facilities in such municipality.
(19) The term “mass transportation system” shall mean any system for the transportation of the public by bus, rail or any other means of conveyance serving the general public and moving over prescribed routes.
(20) The term “expressways” shall mean any limited access highway where tolls are charged for use thereof.
(21) The term “marinas” shall mean any facilities for the sale, repair, rental, storage, and servicing of boats.
(22) The term “civic auditorium” shall mean any building constructed for the purpose of serving public gatherings, including but not limited to, conventions, meetings, and concerts where admission may be charged.
(23) The term “sports arena” shall mean any building or enclosed area where fees may be charged for the admission to sporting events.
(24) The term “incinerator and solid waste disposal systems” shall include any system whereby solid wastes are burned, buried, composted or any system for such disposal approved by a state pollution control agency.
(25) The term “parking facilities” shall mean any facility constructed for the purpose of vehicular parking and the use, operation and occupancy of such parking facilities and for which charges are made.
History.—s. 2, ch. 28045, 1953; ss. 1, 2, ch. 67-550; s. 1, ch. 77-351; s. 4, ch. 93-51; s. 11, ch. 2016-10.