2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XXIII MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 317 OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE TITLING
317.0003 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) “ATV” means any motorized off-highway or all-terrain vehicle 55 inches or less in width which has a dry weight of 1,500 pounds or less, is designed to travel on three or more nonhighway tires, and is manufactured for recreational use by one or more persons.
(2) “Dealer” means any person authorized by the Department of Revenue to buy, sell, resell, or otherwise distribute off-highway vehicles. Such person must have a valid sales tax certificate of registration issued by the Department of Revenue and a valid commercial or occupational license required by any county, municipality, or political subdivision of the state in which the person operates.
(3) “Department” means the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
(4) “Florida resident” means a person who has had a principal place of domicile in this state for a period of more than 6 consecutive months, who has registered to vote in this state, who has made a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or who has filed for homestead tax exemption on property in this state.
(5) “OHM” or “off-highway motorcycle” means any motor vehicle used off the roads or highways of this state that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and is designed to travel with not more than two wheels in contact with the ground, but excludes a tractor or a moped.
(6) “Off-highway vehicle” means any ATV, two-rider ATV, ROV, or OHM that is used off the roads or highways of this state and that is not registered and licensed for highway use pursuant to chapter 320.
(7) “Owner” means a person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to an off-highway vehicle, including a person entitled to the use or possession of an off-highway vehicle subject to an interest held by another person, reserved or created by agreement and securing payment of performance of an obligation, but the term excludes a lessee under a lease not intended as security.
(8) “Public lands” means lands within the state that are available for public use and that are owned, operated, or managed by a federal, state, county, or municipal governmental entity.
(9) “ROV” means any motorized recreational off-highway vehicle 80 inches or less in width which has a dry weight of 3,500 pounds or less, is designed to travel on four or more nonhighway tires, and is manufactured for recreational use by one or more persons. The term does not include a golf cart as defined in ss. 316.003 and 320.01 or a low-speed vehicle as defined in s. 320.01.
(10) “Two-rider ATV” means any ATV that is specifically designed by the manufacturer for a single operator and one passenger.
History.—s. 57, ch. 2002-295; s. 43, ch. 2005-164; s. 3, ch. 2009-137; s. 2, ch. 2010-198; s. 43, ch. 2010-223; s. 83, ch. 2013-160; s. 4, ch. 2014-187; s. 3, ch. 2019-19; s. 2, ch. 2022-93.