2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XXXII REGULATION OF PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
Chapter 456 HEALTH PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS: GENERAL PROVISIONS
SECTION 033Requirement for instruction for certain licensees on HIV and AIDS.
456.033 Requirement for instruction for certain licensees on HIV and AIDS.—The following requirements apply to each person licensed or certified under chapter 457; chapter 458; chapter 459; chapter 460; chapter 461; chapter 463; part I of chapter 464; chapter 465; chapter 466; part II, part III, part V, or part X of chapter 468; or chapter 486:
(1) Each person shall be required by the appropriate board to complete no later than upon first renewal a continuing educational course, approved by the board, on human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome as part of biennial relicensure or recertification. The course shall consist of education on the modes of transmission, infection control procedures, clinical management, and prevention of human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Such course shall include information on current Florida law on acquired immune deficiency syndrome and its impact on testing, confidentiality of test results, treatment of patients, and any protocols and procedures applicable to human immunodeficiency virus counseling and testing, reporting, the offering of HIV testing to pregnant women, and partner notification issues pursuant to ss. 381.004 and 384.25.
(2) Each person shall submit confirmation of having completed the course required under subsection (1), on a form as provided by the board, when submitting fees for first renewal.
(3) The board shall have the authority to approve additional equivalent courses that may be used to satisfy the requirements in subsection (1). Each licensing board that requires a licensee to complete an educational course pursuant to this section may count the hours required for completion of the course included in the total continuing educational requirements as required by law.
(4) Any person holding two or more licenses subject to the provisions of this section shall be permitted to show proof of having taken one board-approved course on human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome, for purposes of relicensure or recertification for additional licenses.
(5) Failure to comply with the above requirements shall constitute grounds for disciplinary action under each respective licensing chapter and s. 456.072(1)(e). In addition to discipline by the board, the licensee shall be required to complete the course.
History.—s. 63, ch. 97-261; s. 4, ch. 98-171; s. 9, ch. 99-331; s. 82, ch. 99-397; s. 60, ch. 2000-160; s. 113, ch. 2000-318; s. 2, ch. 2001-176; s. 2, ch. 2001-250; s. 106, ch. 2001-277; s. 2, ch. 2006-251.
Note.—Former s. 455.604.