2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XXXII REGULATION OF PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
Chapter 483 HEALTH TESTING SERVICES
483.803 Definitions.—As used in this part, the term:
(1) “Board” means the Board of Clinical Laboratory Personnel.
(2) “Clinical laboratory” means the physical location in which one or more of the following services are performed to provide information or materials for use in the diagnosis, prevention, or treatment of a disease or the identification or assessment of a medical or physical condition:
(a) Clinical laboratory services, which entail the examination of fluids or other materials taken from the human body.
(b) Anatomic laboratory services, which entail the examination of tissue taken from the human body.
(c) Cytology laboratory services, which entail the examination of cells from individual tissues or fluid taken from the human body.
(3) “Clinical laboratory examination” means a procedure performed to deliver the services identified in subsection (2), including the oversight or interpretation of such services.
(4) “Clinical laboratory personnel” includes a clinical laboratory director, supervisor, technologist, blood gas analyst, or technician who performs or is responsible for laboratory test procedures, but the term does not include trainees, persons who perform screening for blood banks or plasmapheresis centers, phlebotomists, or persons employed by a clinical laboratory to perform manual pretesting duties or clerical, personnel, or other administrative responsibilities.
(5) “Clinical laboratory trainee” means any person having qualifying education who is enrolled in a clinical laboratory training program approved pursuant to s. 483.811 and who is seeking experience required to meet minimum qualifications for licensing in this state. Trainees may perform procedures under direct and responsible supervision of duly licensed clinical laboratory personnel, but they may not report test results.
(6) “Department” means the Department of Health.
(7) “Licensed practitioner of the healing arts” means a physician licensed under chapter 458, chapter 459, chapter 460, or chapter 461; a dentist licensed under chapter 466; or a person licensed under chapter 462.
(8) “Public health laboratory scientist” means any licensed director, supervisor, technologist, or technician engaged in laboratory testing of human specimens in a state, county, or municipal public health laboratory.
History.—s. 32, ch. 92-58; s. 175, ch. 94-218; s. 7, ch. 97-91; s. 164, ch. 97-264; s. 145, ch. 99-397; s. 100, ch. 2018-24.