2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XXXIII REGULATION OF TRADE, COMMERCE, INVESTMENTS, AND SOLICITATIONS
Chapter 549 AUTOMOBILE RACE MEETS
SECTION 10Motorsports entertainment complex; contracts.
549.10 Motorsports entertainment complex; contracts.—
(1) As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Motorsports entertainment complex” means a closed-course motorsports facility and its ancillary grounds and facilities which:
1. Has at least 70,000 fixed seats for race patrons;
2. Has at least 7 scheduled days of motorsports events each calendar year;
3. Has at least four motorsports events each calendar year;
4. Serves food and beverages at the facility during sanctioned events each calendar year through concession outlets, a majority of which are staffed by individuals who represent or are members of one or more nonprofit civic or charitable organizations that directly financially benefit from such concession outlet sales;
5. Engages in tourism promotion; and
6. Has on the property permanent exhibitions of motorsports history, events, or vehicles.
(b) “Motorsports event” means a motorsports race and its ancillary activities that have been sanctioned by a sanctioning body.
(c) “Owner” means a person who owns and operates a motorsports entertainment complex; a person who leases a motorsports entertainment complex or the land on which a motorsports entertainment complex is located from the Federal Government, the state, or a county, municipality, or special district and operates the motorsports entertainment complex; or a person who operates and maintains a motorsports entertainment complex under an operation and management agreement entered into with the Federal Government, the state, or a county, municipality, or special district.
(d) “Sanctioning body” means the American Motorcycle Association (AMA); Auto Racing Club of America (ARCA); Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART); Grand American Road Racing Association (GRAND AM); Indy Racing League (IRL); National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR); National Hot Rod Association (NHRA); Professional Sportscar Racing (PSR); Sports Car Club of America (SCCA); United States Auto Club (USAC); or any successor organization or any other nationally recognized governing body of motorsports that establishes an annual schedule of motorsports events and grants rights to conduct the events, that has established and administers rules and regulations governing all participants involved in the events and all persons conducting the events, and that requires certain liability assurances, including insurance.
(2)(a) Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, the owner of a motorsports entertainment complex who is not licensed as a vendor under chapter 561 and who meets the qualifications specified in s. 561.15 may enter into a promotional contract, including a contract with any other person which may require the payment of fees, except:
1. A person licensed under s. 563.02(3), unless that person is also licensed as a manufacturer;
2. A person licensed under s. 564.02(3)(a) unless that person is also licensed as a manufacturer; or
3. A person licensed under s. 565.03. However, this exception does not apply to any contract or to the renewal or extension of any contract in effect before October 1, 2000.
(b) The owner of a motorsports entertainment complex is not considered a vendor under s. 561.14 merely because it is affiliated with, a shareholder of, or sharing in percentage payments with any vendor licensed under that section at the complex and meets the qualifications specified in s. 561.15 unless:
1. The owner of the motorsports entertainment complex obligates or requires the licensed vendors operating at the motorsports entertainment complex to purchase or sell any particular brands of beverages defined in s. 561.01 in areas that are accessible to the public. Areas accessible to the public do not include any restricted access areas that are under lease, license, or occupancy contracts with the owner.
2. A person licensed under s. 563.02(3), with the knowledge of the owner, is directly or indirectly participating in or contributing to any advertising or promotional funds being used to pay fees to the owner of the motorsports entertainment complex.
History.—s. 1, ch. 2000-236.