2019 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XXXV AGRICULTURE, HORTICULTURE, AND ANIMAL INDUSTRY
Chapter 581 PLANT INDUSTRY
SECTION 131Certificate of registration.
581.131 Certificate of registration.—
(1) Before any nurseryman shall sell or distribute, or offer for sale or for distribution, any nursery stock in this state, she or he shall apply to the director of the division, on forms supplied by the division, for a certificate of registration.
(2) Before any stock dealer, agent, or plant broker shall sell or distribute, or offer for sale or for distribution, any nursery stock in this state, she or he shall apply to the director of the division, on forms supplied by the division, for a certificate of registration for each outlet.
(3) Before any nurseryman, stock dealer, agent, or plant broker advertises nursery stock for sale, a copy of the certificate of registration must be provided to the publisher of the advertisement. The registration number issued by the department and printed on the certificate of registration must be included in the advertisement. Registration numbers printed in the advertisements must be legible.
(4) Each application for a certificate of registration shall be accompanied by a certificate fee in an amount determined by the department.
(5) The certificate shall be renewed annually on its anniversary date upon a satisfactory showing that the provisions of this law and the rules of the department have been complied with and upon payment of an annual renewal fee in an amount determined by the department.
(6) Neither the certificate of registration fee nor the annual renewal fee shall exceed $460. The department may exempt from the payment of a certificate fee those governmental agency nurseries whose nursery stock is used exclusively for planting on their own property.
(7) All applications and applicable fees for annual renewal of certificates of registration required by this section shall be made not later than the anniversary date of the certificate being renewed.
(8) The department shall provide to each person subject to this section written notice and renewal forms 30 days before the annual renewal date informing the person of the certificate of registration renewal date and the applicable fee.
(9)(a) If the registration has not been renewed or the fee has not been paid by the renewal date, a penalty of $10 or 20 percent of the renewal fee, whichever is greater, shall be assessed.
(b) If the registration has not been renewed or the fee has not been paid within 31 days of the renewal date, the department shall stop sale or stop movement on all nursery stock until the person has renewed the certificate of registration.
(c) Upon application prior to the renewal date, the department may, for good cause supported by written documentation, extend the renewal date without penalty for up to 90 days.
(10) Commercial citrus fruit producers producing citrus plants for their own use and for movement only within a contiguous citrus grove shall be required to obtain a certificate of registration from the department. However, no certificate of registration fee or annual renewal fee shall be required.
History.—s. 4, ch. 29767, 1955; s. 13, ch. 59-261; s. 2, ch. 61-119; s. 1, ch. 63-115; s. 1, ch. 65-539; ss. 14, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 1, ch. 74-10; s. 7, ch. 79-158; s. 4, ch. 80-41; s. 415, ch. 81-259; s. 3, ch. 85-283; s. 1, ch. 91-294; s. 5, ch. 92-147; s. 49, ch. 93-169; s. 8, ch. 95-317; s. 919, ch. 97-103; s. 114, ch. 2005-2; s. 135, ch. 2014-150.
Note.—Former s. 581.081.