2022 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XXXVI BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS
Chapter 607 FLORIDA BUSINESS CORPORATION ACT
SECTION 11932Action on a plan of conversion.
607.11932 Action on a plan of conversion.—In the case of a conversion of a domestic corporation to a domestic or foreign eligible entity other than a domestic corporation, the plan of conversion must be adopted in the following manner:
(1) The plan of conversion must first be adopted by the board of directors of such domestic corporation.
(2)(a) The plan of conversion must then be approved by the shareholders of such domestic corporation.
(b) In submitting the plan of conversion to the shareholders for their approval, the board of directors shall recommend that the shareholders approve the plan of conversion unless:
1. The board of directors makes a determination that because of conflicts of interest or other special circumstances it should not make such a recommendation; or
2. Section 607.0826 applies.
(c) If either subparagraph (b)1. or subparagraph (b)2. applies, the board of directors shall inform the shareholders of the basis for its so proceeding without such recommendation.
(3) The board of directors may set conditions for approval of the plan of conversion by the shareholders or the effectiveness of the plan of conversion.
(4) If a plan of conversion is required to be approved by the shareholders, and if the approval is to be given at a meeting, the corporation shall notify each shareholder, regardless of whether entitled to vote, of the meeting of shareholders at which the plan is to be submitted for approval, in accordance with s. 607.0705. The notice must state that the purpose, or one of the purposes, of the meeting is to consider the plan of conversion and must contain or be accompanied by a copy of the plan. The notice must include or be accompanied by a written copy of the organic rules of the converted eligible entity as they will be in effect immediately after the conversion.
(5) Unless this chapter, the articles of incorporation, or the board of directors acting pursuant to subsection (3) require a greater vote or a greater quorum in the respective case, approval of the plan of conversion requires:
(a) The approval of the shareholders at a meeting at which a quorum exists consisting of a majority of the votes entitled to be cast on the plan; and
(b) The approval of each class or series of shares voting as a separate voting group at a meeting at which a quorum of the voting group exists consisting of a majority of the votes entitled to be cast on the plan by that voting group.
(6) If, as a result of the conversion, one or more shareholders of the converting domestic corporation would become subject to interest holder liability, approval of the plan of conversion shall require the signing in connection with the transaction, by each such shareholder, of a separate written consent to become subject to such interest holder liability.
(7) If the converted eligible entity is a partnership or limited partnership, no shareholder of the converting domestic corporation shall, as a result of the conversion, become a general partner of the partnership or limited partnership, unless such shareholder specifically consents in writing to becoming a general partner of such partnership or limited partnership and, unless such written consent is obtained from each such shareholder, such conversion may not become effective under s. 607.11933. Any shareholder providing such consent in writing shall be deemed to have voted in favor of the plan of conversion pursuant to which the shareholder became a general partner.
History.—s. 155, ch. 2019-90; s. 37, ch. 2020-32.