2022 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XXXVII INSURANCE
Chapter 624 INSURANCE CODE: ADMINISTRATION AND GENERAL PROVISIONS
SECTION 401Certificate of authority required.
624.401 Certificate of authority required.—
(1) No person shall act as an insurer, and no insurer or its agents, attorneys, subscribers, or representatives shall directly or indirectly transact insurance, in this state except as authorized by a subsisting certificate of authority issued to the insurer by the office, except as to such transactions as are expressly otherwise provided for in this code.
(2) No insurer shall from offices or by personnel or facilities located in this state solicit insurance applications or otherwise transact insurance in another state or country unless it holds a subsisting certificate of authority issued to it by the office authorizing it to transact the same kind or kinds of insurance in this state.
(3) This state hereby preempts the field of regulating insurers and their agents and representatives; and no county, city, municipality, district, school district, or political subdivision shall require of any insurer, agent, or representative regulated under this code any authorization, permit, or registration of any kind for conducting transactions lawful under the authority granted by the state under this code.
(4)(a) Any person who acts as an insurer, transacts insurance, or otherwise engages in insurance activities in this state without a certificate of authority in violation of this section commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(b) However, any person acting as an insurer without a valid certificate of authority who violates this section commits insurance fraud, punishable as provided in this paragraph. If the amount of any insurance premium collected with respect to any violation of this section:
1. Is less than $20,000, the offender commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, and the offender shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 1 year.
2. Is $20,000 or more, but less than $100,000, the offender commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, and the offender shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of 18 months.
History.—s. 45, ch. 59-205; s. 1, ch. 61-75; ss. 13, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 64, 809(1st), ch. 82-243; ss. 13, 187, 188, ch. 91-108; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 4, ch. 2003-148; s. 781, ch. 2003-261.