2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XXXVII INSURANCE
Chapter 626 INSURANCE FIELD REPRESENTATIVES AND OPERATIONS
SECTION 9325Service fee.
626.9325 Service fee.—
(1) The premiums charged for surplus lines insurance are subject to a service fee as provided in s. 626.921(3)(f). The surplus lines agent shall collect from the insured the amount of the fee at the time of the delivery of the policy, or other initial confirmation of insurance, in addition to the full amount of the gross premium charged by the insurer for the insurance. The surplus lines agent is prohibited from absorbing such fee or, as an inducement for insurance or for any other reason, rebating all or any part of such fee or of his or her commission.
(2)(a) The surplus lines agent shall pay on or before the 45th day following each calendar quarter to the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office the fees related to all policies reported during the previous calendar quarter in accordance with the plan of operation of the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office.
(b) The agent shall pay interest on the amount of any delinquent fees due, at the rate of 9 percent per year, compounded annually, beginning the day the amount becomes delinquent.
(3) If a surplus lines policy covers risks or exposures only partially in this state and the state is the home state as defined in the federal Nonadmitted and Reinsurance Reform Act of 2010 (NRRA), the fee payable shall be computed on the gross premium.
(4) This section does not apply as to insurance of risks of the state government or its agencies, or of any county or municipality or of any agency thereof.
(5) The association shall use the fees to fund the cost of operations of the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office.
(6) For the purposes of this section, the term “premium” means the consideration for insurance by whatever name called and includes any assessment, or any membership, policy, survey, inspection, service, or similar fee or charge in consideration for an insurance contract, which items are deemed to be a part of the premium. The per-policy fee authorized by s. 626.916(4) is specifically included within the meaning of the term “premium.”
History.—s. 6, ch. 97-196; s. 42, ch. 99-7; s. 3, ch. 2011-46.