2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XXXVII INSURANCE
Chapter 633 FIRE PREVENTION AND CONTROL
SECTION 412Firefighters; qualifications for certification.
633.412 Firefighters; qualifications for certification.—A person applying for certification as a firefighter must:
(1) Be a high school graduate or the equivalent, as the term may be determined by the division, and at least 18 years of age.
(2) Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor relating to the certification or to perjury or false statements, or a felony or a crime punishable by imprisonment of 1 year or more under the law of the United States or of any state thereof or under the law of any other country, or dishonorably discharged from any of the Armed Forces of the United States. “Convicted” means a finding of guilt or the acceptance of a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, in any federal or state court or a court in any other country, without regard to whether a judgment of conviction has been entered by the court having jurisdiction of the case.
(3) Submit a set of fingerprints to the division with a current processing fee. The fingerprints will be forwarded to the Department of Law Enforcement for state processing and forwarded by the Department of Law Enforcement to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for national processing.
(4) Have a good moral character as determined by investigation under procedure established by the division.
(5) Be in good physical condition as determined by a medical examination given by a physician, surgeon, or physician assistant licensed to practice in the state pursuant to chapter 458; an osteopathic physician, surgeon, or physician assistant licensed to practice in the state pursuant to chapter 459; or an advanced practice registered nurse licensed to practice in the state pursuant to chapter 464. Such examination may include, but need not be limited to, the National Fire Protection Association Standard 1582. A medical examination evidencing good physical condition shall be submitted to the division, on a form as provided by rule, before an individual is eligible for admission into a course under s. 633.408.
(6) Be a nonuser of tobacco or tobacco products for at least 1 year immediately preceding application, as evidenced by the sworn affidavit of the applicant.
History.—ss. 8, 17, ch. 69-323; s. 1, ch. 70-110; ss. 1, 6, ch. 75-151; s. 1, ch. 77-116; s. 2, ch. 81-205; s. 10, ch. 84-243; s. 3, ch. 88-209; s. 1, ch. 89-89; s. 23, ch. 89-233; s. 7, ch. 91-189; s. 13, ch. 93-276; s. 2, ch. 2005-76; s. 57, ch. 2013-116; s. 60, ch. 2013-183; s. 24, ch. 2016-132; s. 76, ch. 2018-106.
Note.—Former s. 163.490; s. 633.34.