2023 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XLVI CRIMES
Chapter 790 WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
SECTION 0625Appointment of tax collectors to accept applications for a concealed weapon or firearm license; fees; penalties.
790.0625 Appointment of tax collectors to accept applications for a concealed weapon or firearm license; fees; penalties.—
(1) As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Department” means the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
(b) “Division” means the Division of Licensing of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
(2) The department, at its discretion, may appoint tax collectors, as defined in s. 1(d), Art. VIII of the State Constitution, to accept applications on behalf of the division for concealed weapon or firearm licenses. Such appointment shall be for specified locations that will best serve the public interest and convenience in applying for these licenses.
(3) A tax collector seeking to be appointed to accept applications for new or renewal concealed weapon or firearm licenses must submit a written request to the division stating his or her name, address, telephone number, each location within the county at which the tax collector wishes to accept applications, and other information as required by the division.
(a) Upon receipt of a written request, the division shall review it and at its discretion may decline to enter into a memorandum of understanding or, if approved, enter into a memorandum of understanding with the tax collector to accept applications for new or renewal concealed weapon or firearm licenses on behalf of the department.
(b) The department or the division may rescind a memorandum of understanding for any reason at any time.
(4) All personal identifying information that is provided pursuant to s. 790.06 and contained in the records of a tax collector appointed under this section is confidential and exempt as provided in s. 790.0601.
(5) A tax collector appointed under this section may collect and retain a convenience fee of $22 for each new application and $12 for each renewal application and shall remit weekly to the department the license fees pursuant to s. 790.06 for deposit in the Division of Licensing Trust Fund.
(6)(a) A tax collector appointed under this section may not maintain a list or record of persons who apply for or are granted a new or renewal license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. A violation of this paragraph is subject to s. 790.335.
(b) A person may not handle an application for a concealed weapon or firearm for a fee or compensation of any kind unless he or she has been appointed by the department to do so.
(7) A person who willfully violates this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(8) Upon receipt of a completed renewal application, a new color photograph, and appropriate payment of fees, a tax collector authorized to accept renewal applications for concealed weapon or firearm licenses under this section may, upon approval and confirmation of license issuance by the department, print and deliver a concealed weapon or firearm license to a licensee renewing his or her license at the tax collector’s office.
History.—s. 2, ch. 2014-205; s. 41, ch. 2016-166.