2022 Florida Statutes< Back to Statute Search
Title XLVII CRIMINAL PROCEDURE AND CORRECTIONS
Chapter 943 DEPARTMENT OF LAW ENFORCEMENT
SECTION 0543National Crime Prevention and Privacy Compact; ratification and implementation.
943.0543 National Crime Prevention and Privacy Compact; ratification and implementation.—
(1) In order to facilitate the authorized interstate exchange of criminal history information for noncriminal justice purposes, including, but not limited to, background checks for the licensing and screening of employees and volunteers under the National Child Protection Act of 1993, as amended, and to implement the National Crime Prevention and Privacy Compact, 42 U.S.C. s. 14616, the Legislature approves and ratifies the compact. The executive director of the Department of Law Enforcement shall execute the compact on behalf of the state.
(2) The department is the repository of criminal history records for purposes of the compact and shall do all things necessary or incidental to carrying out the compact.
(3) The executive director of the department, or the director’s designee, is the state’s compact officer and shall administer the compact within the state. The department may establish procedures for the cooperative exchange of criminal history records between the state and Federal Government for use in noncriminal justice cases.
(4) The state’s ratification of the compact remains in effect until legislation is enacted which specifically renounces the compact.
(5) This compact and this section do not affect or abridge the obligations and responsibilities of the department under other provisions of this chapter, including s. 943.053, and do not alter or amend the manner, direct or otherwise, in which the public is afforded access to criminal history records under state law.
History.—s. 2, ch. 99-300; s. 111, ch. 2013-18; s. 11, ch. 2016-78.